Second Los Barriles Dog Show Heralded as Largest Community Event on East Cape
1,200 spectators and 200 participating dogs
The second Los Barriles Dog Show on February 26th drew crowds of over 1,200 people from across the community to enjoy hundreds of dogs either performing or taking part in events at the beautiful Hotel Palmas de Cortez.
Organized by The Baja Kennel Club team, including East Cape dog trainer Tracey Lewis and Emma Nicholson, the show raised $US thousands. The monies be split across 3 animal charities; ALMA Humanitaria, Amigos de Animales and SNAP.
This year, the show was supported by major sponsors inc. Forrajera de San Joaquin, PURINA Dog Chow, Van Wormer Resorts, Baja Beach Co & Annex Brands Inc. that enabled the show to grow in size in response to public demand.
Show highlights included:
- Mexico Disc Dogs – from Mexico City, Fabian and his expertly trained frisbee dogs Dante and Alux performed twice.
- SEPROCAN dog team from Cabo – demonstrated high level obedience led by Giovanni Beristain.
- The Schutzhund teams from La Paz - showcased obedience and ‘protect & defend’ skills (similar to police dogs).
- Temptation Alley – a crowd-pleaser where dogs were challenged to run down an alley without stopping to sniff, eat or destroy a selection of foods and toys. A very difficult challenge for most of the competing dogs!
- Agility – over 30 dogs trained & competed for The Marty Lentz Trophy. The overall winning dog was from La Paz.
- Costume Competition – this year’s standard was extremely high and challenging to judge.
- Best Looking Dogs – the overwhelming demand in 2015 meant that this year’s event was split into four different categories including under and over 40 pounds; mixed breed and pure breed.
Emma Nicholson, organizer comments: “Our love for our dogs brings us together, and it has always been important to the Baja Kennel Club team that The Los Barriles Dog Show is an inclusive fun event for locals, visitors, snowbirds and holiday-makers. The show exceeded our expectations. We were delighted that so many people enjoyed a day of entertainment while supporting a great cause. We are starting to plan the next show for 2019 and we will have some exciting new events and activities that will ensure the show continues to be one of the most popular events in the Baja calendar.”
The full list of participatory events included: Five Agility Groups, Best Looking Dog (over 40 lbs pure breed), Best Looking Dog (over 40 lbs mixed breed), Best Looking Dog (under 40 lbs pure), Best Looking Dog (under 40 lbs mixed), Cutest Pair of Dogs, Best Costume, Dog Most Like its Owner, Best Trick or Skill, Temptation Alley.
Awards included: The Marty Lentz Trophy for Agility, The Sheila Marshall Trophy for Best Costume, The Isla Buckley Trophy for Cutest Pair, PURINA Dog Chow food for each winner, PURINA Dog Chow accessories, t-shirts, first, second, third, fourth and fifth place ribbons/rosettes, Los Barriles Dog Show dog trophies for each category and a Los Barriles Dog Show participation certificate for every dog that entered an event.
Sponsors that made the show happen included Forrajera de San Joaquin, PURINA Dog Chow, Van Wormer Resorts, Annex Brands Inc, Homes & Land of Baja, Copper River Designs, J&A Designs, Quadman, NuEra Heat, La Casita, Baja’s Awesome Beach Rides, Salon Cortez, Joe’s Deli, Seven Seas Property Management, Treats Natural California, Lori Makabe Photography, G&T Pest Control, Sunshine Flowers, Fur Face Pet Spa, Caffe Encinalito, Wolf Property Management, Plum Loco, Aero Burro, Clinica Veterinaria, and El Toro y La Luna